Simple and easy method to jailbreaking you iOS 5.0.1 device (Non-A5 devices)
This jailbreak works on any 5.0.1 device with two device exceptions, the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S.
Until recently, you could only jailbreak your device using the tethered jailbreak. This means that you would have to connect the device to the PC and run the jailbreak again every time you reboot your device. Here is a method that will provide for untethered jailbreaking.
Should You Jailbreak You Device?
Jailbreaking is entirely up to you. No doubts there are many advantages such as customizing the lock screen, locking individual applications and most of all the applications from Cydia or paid ones for free. However, if you’re not a sucker for these particular features, it may be well in your interest to have second thoughts on whether you want to jailbreak or not.
Keep in mind that as with all things, mistakes happen and anything can go wrong. If something goes wrong, you could screw up your system. If you don’t know what you’re doing, we advise that you take it to someone who knows what they’re doing. However, there is always a way to restore the phone to factory settings.
If you have already jailbroken your device using the tethered jailbreak, no problem. All you have to do is download a package called Corona Untether 5.0.1 from Cydia and Install it. Once you download and installed it, your jailbreak will be untethered. However if you used a jailbreaking method that involved iOS 5 firmware along with the current 5.0.1 firmware then you must restore your device to stock 5.0.1.
Now before you do anything, sync your device!
1. First you’ll have to download the redsn0w jailbreaking tool for your respective operating system.
- Redsn0w for mac
- Redsn0w for Windows
3. Now, from the menu, choose JAILBREAK from the first screen.
4. You are about to put your device in DFU mode. (Device Firmware Upgrade where you can put your device into where it can interface with iTunes but does not load the iPhone operating system or bootloader). Follow the instructions on the screen and make sure your device is powered off and still plugged into your computer. Make sure to pay close attention the instructions as it will require you to hold down a combination of buttons for certain periods
5. When you click Next, you will see this screen.
You will hold down the power button for 1 second.
Next, you will have to hold down the power button while continuing to hold the home button, this time for 7 more seconds.
Now you will release the power button, but still hold the home button for an additional 15 seconds.
Keep in mind, that the program will time you and prompt you to change the buttons you are pressing. If you successfully follow the instructions you device should now be in DFU mode. If you had the timings wrong or made a mistake, just power down the device and start over.
6. After you boot your device into DFU mode, you’ll see the following screen. You device will flash white and reboot.
After that you should see this screen…
7. Next up should be a screen that asks you for options regarding you iDevice. Check the box next to “Install Cydia” and click Next.
Soon, your device should reboot into a jailbroken state. Many times, Cydia appears as a white icon, if this is the case, simply reboot your device again. Once you’re finished, you can run Cydia and install whatever you desire.